BACON MAC & CHEESE AT JACK DANIEL’S BONDED
Today’s challenge is to revisit a classic “Comfort” dish that appeals to all generations: Mac & Cheese.
Today, Chefs de Tahiti brings you its recipe for Mac & Cheese with Jack Daniel’s Bonded Caramelized Bacon (yes, always more 🤫).
(Recipe for 10)
10 bacon slices
1/2 cup Jack Daniel’s Bonded
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
500gr Macaroni dough
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (about 50g)
1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon Jack Daniel’s Bonded
2 cups milk
3 cups cheddar cheese
1/2 tablespoon paprika
Alcohol abuse is dangerous for your health. Drink in moderation.
Bacon with Jack Daniel’s Bonded:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and use a non-stick spray.
- In a saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of Jack Daniel’s Bonded to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons.
- Mix the brown sugar and cayenne pepper on a plate.
- Dip the bacon in the Jack Daniel’s, then coat each side with the brown sugar mixture.
- Place the bacon on the baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes, turning halfway through. Be sure not to let it burn. The bacon will have a glossy lacquered appearance.
- Remove the bacon to a plate coated with non-stick spray to cool. Chop the bacon and set aside.
Macaroni and cheese :
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add the macaroni and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine, making a tight roux.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of Jack Daniel’s Bonded into the roux and continue whisking.
- Pour in 1 cup of milk while continuing to whisk until the sauce thickens and begins to bubble;
- Add 3 cups of cheddar to the sauce mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Season with 1/2 tablespoon paprika, salt and pepper to taste;
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta and add the chopped bacon.
- Mix thoroughly to coat pasta with cheese and bacon sauce.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Chefs de Tahiti Tips
The trickiest part of the recipe is really the caramelization of the bacon. In fact, we advise you to keep an eye on your bacon at this stage. Don’t let them out of your sight, so you don’t have to start all over again with more bacon slices. For those with a sweet tooth, don’t hesitate to reserve a little sauce for yourself « cheese » in a ramekin, so that you can add more when tasting. And for even more gourmet flavor, you can also add your favorite pickles, or like us, a pinch of green onion;
What really makes this recipe atypical, you guessed it, is the Jack Daniel’s. Yes, your favorite whisky can also be used in cooking. The Jack Daniel’s is a very popular and well-known American whisky brand. Originally from Tennessee, the Jack Daniel’s has been producing the famous beverage since 1866; Although the Jack Daniel’s Bonded whisky is best known on the rocks or mixed with lemonade, this whisky is also perfect for adding a distinctive flavor to your dishes; It is commonly used to prepare barbecue sauces and marinades to enhance meats, to enhance creamy sauces for seafood or pasta, and even to flavor desserts and pastries.
Your delicious Jack Daniel’s Bonded Mac & Cheese Bacon is ready to enjoy!